Thursday 1 July 2010

... And here's the other two:



Rather than fit out the puppet band with exact representations of the instruments on the track (guitar, bass, violin and drums) I decided to run with the Petrushka-Russian-folky angle and did of a bit of research.

So Petrushka is on balalaika, the Moor is on hardingfere (okay, that's essentially a violin anyway, plus it's Bulgarian. But I couldn't find an interesting-looking Russian bowed string instrument :)), the Conjurer has a military-style side-snare and the Ballerina is on bass domra.

Some thought went into that... I wanted the connection to the more conventional instruments to be visually obvious, and tinted the instruments colours that referenced the particular instruments played by the real band members, while also looking quirky and exotic.

It's part of my overall plan for the band in the video: the idea is that the puppets are part of a mechanical toy (like a cam-toy, with a big ol' crank handle) and are just perfoming a automated mime to some extent. The extent to which they are actually producing the music should be ambiguous. It's a balance between timing their movements to the track, and making their movements stilted, so they might or might not be playing the song you hear.

For one thing, depending on how much time I find I have as I get on for the deadline, I might have the band wind down when the song slows down for the middle-eight...

No comments: